Medical Directories > Books
Welcome to the Health & Medical eGuide chapter on Medical Directories. We have many resources to use at the Orange County Library System as well as online.
This chapter focuses on general medical resources as well as information for finding medical professionals.
Let's begin with the print collection. The books on this subject may be found in the Reference Collection in the 610s.
Medical Directories > Books > Page 2
The American Medical Association Directory of Physicians in the United States is a 4 volume directory listing all U.S. physicians, including AMA members and non-members. Content is authenticated by primary data sources. Each listing includes the physician's name, preferred professional mailing address, medical school and year of graduation, year first licensed in the mailing address state, primary and secondary practice specialties, American Board of Medical Specialties certification, and AMA Physician's Recognition Award status.
- AMA and non-AMA
- Brief biography, address, telephone number, primary and secondary specialty, medical school attended, year licensed, type of practice, and board certification
The Official ABMS Directory of Board Certified Medical Specialists is an annually published reference containing 617,000 physician profiles, covering 36 specialties and 88 subspecialties, 496,000 biographies, 312,000 phone numbers, 232,000 fax numbers, 541,000 published addresses, and current contact addresses for major medical associations.
Medical Directories > Books > Page 3
America's Top Doctors is organized by doctors' specialties and listed by geographic sections of the country. Most of the doctors listed are board-certified, they have all been selected based on the recommendations of other physicians. This directory also explains the responsibilities of each specialty and the training requirements needed after completion of medical school.
- National guide organized by specialty
- Listed geographically within specialty
- Most are board-certified
- Recommendations of other physicians
- Explains responsibilities and training requirements beyond medical school
The American Hospital Association's Guide to the Health Care Field is published annually. This easy-to-read directory offers profiles of not only hospitals but also health care systems, networks, alliances and other health care organizations, agencies and individual providers.
- Annual publication
- Profiles of hospitals, health care systems, and networks
- Other health care organizations, agencies and providers
- Health Services from the Social Viewpoint: Abortion, AIDS, substance abuse, co-dependency, community health services, mental or emotional illnesses and mental retardation - find these topics between the 362.1s and 362.4s.
- Various Medical & Health Subjects: From medical and nursing exams to surgical techniques or pediatrics and geriatrics - look for these topics between the 610s and 619s.
- Specialized Diet Cookbooks: Whether you would like to lose weight or control diabetes; if you need low sodium recipes or you are Hypoglycemic - locate books on these topics between 641.563 to 641.568.
- Child Health and Care: From temper tantrums to sex education - books from 649.1 to 649.68 have it covered.
- 617,000 physician profiles
- 36 specialties and 88 subspecialties
- 312,000 phone numbers
- 232,000 fax numbers
- 541,000 published addresses
- Current contact addresses for major medical associations
Medical Directories > Books > Page 4
Find it on the shelf!
Books on different aspects of health and medicine.
Medical Directories > World Wide Web
The American Medical Association offers an online Doctor Finder that provides basic professional information on more than 690,000 doctors. Listings for AMA physicians include office hours, accepted insurance providers, educational history and more.
Additional medical directories can be found in the Medical Directories section of NetLinks.
The Medical & Health category of NetLinks is also a great tool that provides a useful list of Web sites with general medical information.
Medical Directories > World Wide Web > Page 2
The Official ABMS Directory of Board Certified Medical Specialists is also available online at www.abms.org.
It is necessary to register first, but public users are allowed up to five searches per 24 hour period for free.
Another online resource is the Practioner's Profile hosted by the Florida Department of Health. Here you will find profiles for all licensed doctors of medicine, osteopathy, chiropractic, podiatric and advanced registered nurse practitioners. A profile is self-reported information about the practitioner and is designed to help you choose a practitioner or find out more about a practitioner you go to now.